California Employee Handbook
Download in minutes. Fully customizable and easy to edit.
Free updates from our
Our employee handbook and compliance documents are
drafted and updated
by a licensed California employment law attorney to help
protect business owners from employee lawsuits and workplace disputes.
If you do business in another state, Click Here.
Click Here for a California nonprofit employee handbook.
Have questions? Call us at 1-(800)-524-7116 (8 a.m. and 6 p.m.) PDT (Monday-Saturday). You have immediate access to all documents 24 hours/day.
The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that California business owners can protect their company from liability and damages resulting from employee lawsuits by providing clear written workplace policies that cover the rights and responsibilities of their employees.
Studies show that when employees are given clear written policies,
expectations, and guidelines to follow, their odds of continuing with
their employer rise significantly. These same policies reduce the chance
of the employee suing their employer.
California Employment Lawsuits Can Be Devastating
The past decade has seen a big increase in the number of lawsuits based on discrimination, sexual harassment, improper termination and hiring, and poorly drafted employee handbooks.
Employee lawsuits are a major burden to California employers. California has seen a big increase in the number of lawsuits based on discrimination, improper termination, hiring, and poorly drafted employee handbooks. Over 50% of business owners have been sued by an employee.
More than 50% of California business owners have been sued at least once by an employee or former employee. Damages awarded against them in employment lawsuits range from $300,000 to over a million dollars. Just the cost of defending against a lawsuit could range from $75,000 to $300,000.
Here Are the Attorney-Drafted Documents That Are Included When You Buy Our California Employee Handbook and Compliance Package.
1. California Employee handbook
2. Employment application (English and Spanish)
3. Offer of employment letter
4. Questions you should not ask applicants during interviews
5. Employee arbitration agreement (English and Spanish)
6. Employee termination package **
** Our California termination package listed above includes:
• Employee termination checklist for employers
• Severance agreement (employee termination agreement)
• Notice of change in employment status
• Employee exit interview questions
• Employee authorization to release information
• Attorney-drafted instructions for terminating an employee
California businesses are required by law to provide certain notices to all newly hired employees and to employees who are being terminated.
7. Wage theft protection act notice
8. California notice of change in employment status
9. California credit and background check notice
10. Paid sick days poster
Some topics covered in our California employee handbook include:
|Attire Requirements||Performance Evaluation|
|Breaks||Personal Time Off|
|Continuation of Benefits||Retirement Plans|
|Dismissal||Safety and Accident Rules|
|Dress Code||Salary-Paid Employees|
|Drugs and Alcohol||Separation from Employment|
|Employment Classification||Sexual Harassment|
|Equal Opportunity||Sick Leave|
|Family Medical Leave Act||Substance Abuse|
|Health and Life Insurance||Termination|
|Hourly Paid Employees/Overtime||Use of Company Computers|
|Immigration Law Compliance||Use of Company Property|
|Jury Duty||Workman's Compensation|
|Layoff and Recall||Vacation Schedule|
|Meal Periods||Maternity Leave|
For a complete list of topics, see the sample handbook below:
• Drafted by a California law firm for California and Federal law.
• Free handbook updates and information from our attorneys.
• We include other documents to help you comply with California law.
• Contains specific policies for both hourly and salaried employees.
• Our handbook is used by other California firms so it gets further review.
• Fully customizable and easy to edit with Microsoft Word or Open Office.
• Our handbook can be used by almost any business.
• Can be used by businesses with only one employee or hundreds of employees.
Our attorney-drafted California employee handbook is used by all types
of California businesses, including:
Restaurants, manufacturing, retail, medical and dental offices, child and daycare, pharmacy, construction, bars, nightclubs, security companies, salons, spas, casinos, trucking, healthcare, financial companies and more.
California has the most complex employment laws in the country. Using anyone other than an experienced California attorney could put your business at risk.
How to Order
You can purchase our California employee handbook and download it immediately (or have it mailed to you on CD). However, before you do, you may want to consider our business protection document package. Click Here for details.
Fast and easy checkout. Free technical support is available 7 days a week.
Package #1: English only California handbook
compliance package- $127
Package #2: Both English and Spanish California
handbook compliance packages - $157
Any Windows or Macintosh computer that can read word documents.